This page has moved to a new address.

The Truth: I'm a Girl, I'm Smart and I Know Everything

10/28/08

The Truth: I'm a Girl, I'm Smart and I Know Everything

I fell in love with this book written by positive psychologist and author Dr. Barbara Becker Holstein. The Truth (I'm a girl, I'm smart and I know everything) is a great blast to the past. I had not been in touch with my inner 10 year old self until I read this book. Honestly, when I was a young girl I didn't keep a diary. Although as an adult I wish I had because it would have been interesting to read the things that I was going through during that time. This book is great for parents and kids to read and just in time for the holidays too. I would place it in a stocking for sure! This diary like book follows the journey of a 10 year old girl who is discovering her independence and writing about friendships, her first love and her relationship with her parents. She has a strong character, she's smart and has very real feelings. As we get older with responsibilities we sometimes forget what it's like to be a kid. It's not easy and there are so many questions and concerns that kids have and they need answers. Every girl has had her "Paul!" The first guy she just knew she was going to grow up and marry. She wrote a lot about her parents fighting which should be a reminder to all parents how fighting effects your children. Of course there will be disagreements but there should be rules so that your children aren't scared and feel impending doom. At the end of the book there is a great list of questions for discussion. Today I was getting ready to write my review for this book and had it out on the table. My 8 year old son out of no where picked it up and plopped down on the couch and started reading it. I just glanced his way, I didn't say anything at first. Later after he put the book down I asked him why he picked it up. He told me it looked interesting. I asked him what he thought about it. He said it was neat but he only made it through the first half of the book. I wouldn't count a son or father out as readers of this book. It might give them a little window into the life of girls!

I know you are so curious by now you can't stand it right? I've got a copy to give to you if you want it! How can you win a copy? Easy, leave me a comment and let me know you would like to win. Contest is open to U.S. residence only until 11:59pm CST 11/5. The winner will be announced November 6th by 9am cst. If the winner has not left valid contact information another winner will be drawn. Good Luck!

Random Integer Generator

Here are your random numbers:

4 

Timestamp: 2008-11-06 06:36:51 UTC

Labels: