This page has moved to a new address.

Running With Scissors - A Movie Review

8/9/08

Running With Scissors - A Movie Review

If only I could get the last 122 minutes of my life back! I wanted to turn this movie off several times but I guess because of my absurd personality I had to finish it. I really thought the cast was going to carry this movie. As each actor came on the screen I thought - ok this is going to be where it picks up, wrong! I think that this type of movie appeals to a certain type of crowd but I don't belong to it. Sure it takes place in the 70's and at the end you find out this really is someone's childhood. All you can think is how freakin horrible! That is the only thing that makes this movie even tolerable all the way to the end. The plot is someone's life story and it wasn't made up. The whole time I was thinking I can't believe someone wrote this story! As a person who is fascinated by the behavioral sciences I put this in my Netflix queue. I have to stop giving in to my curiousity like that. This was just painful all the way to the end. This isn't your feel good movie of the year but you certainly are glad that the main character finally leaves EVERYONE behind.

Plot: When Deirdre Burroughs (Annette Bening) impulsively decides that her adolescent son Augusten (Joseph Cross) should be raised by her unconventional psychiatrist (Brian Cox), her choice to give him away changes the course of his life forever. An all-star ensemble cast -- including Gwyneth Paltrow, Joseph Fiennes, Evan Rachel Wood, Alec Baldwin and Jill Clayburgh -- drives this quirky adaptation of Augusten Burroughs's best-selling memoir.
Rated R

Length:
122 minutes
Director:

Ryan Murphy

Cast:
Annette Bening
Gwyneth Paltrow

Jill Clayburgh
Brian Cox

Joseph Fiennes
Evan Rachel Wood

Alec Baldwin
Vanessa Redgrave

Kristin Chenoweth
Colleen Camp

Patrick Wilson

Labels: