This page has moved to a new address.

Thieves of Time

5/8/10

Thieves of Time

The following is provided by Merriam Webster online dictionary.
Main Entry: thiev·ery 
Pronunciation: \ˈthēv-rē, ˈthē-və-\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural thiev·er·ies
Date: 1568
: the act or practice or an instance of stealing : theft

Events of this past week have prompted me to write this post. I'm not sure why, but the act of thievery is always such a surprise to me. It truly does come in all shapes and forms.

The last time I experienced it personally was when I had my garage sale signs stolen. Seems trivial right? At the time it wasn't. What they really stole was more than a sign, they stole my time.

Last weekend someone hacked my hubs World of Warcraft game that he has been playing for the last 5 years. If you are familiar with gaming then you know how truly painful this can be. They sold everything that he had earned. Once again, what they really stole is the time he spent collecting all those things over the last 5 years.

Just now I read a post tweeted by a fellow blogger about someone who plagiarized her entire marketing plan for her blog. Can you imagine? The amount of time that it takes to build a blog, build your traffic, your reader base, the list is endless. It's a lot of work and TIME!

As a college student our professors as well as the university were very clear about the rules of plagiarism. When I taught at our local community college I too carried on this tradition.

When someone steals a possession that (in most cases) can be replaced but your time? No, you can't get that back. On that note be cautious of how you use your time and realize the preciousness of it.


Before you go, don't forget to link up! I'm sure we are in some of the same circles. Have a look around the side bars and don't forget to check the "Add Me" tab.

Labels: