This page has moved to a new address.

Day 19 of Thanks

11/19/07

Day 19 of Thanks

Today was a reminder to be thankful that smoking is not a part of my life on a regular basis any more. My grandmother, grandfather, mother and I smoked but not any more. Every one of us stopped eventually and I am so thankful for that. To those of you trying to quit I wish you the best of luck. I know it's hard. But lately with my bf mother's illness it has been a constant reminder for me. Visiting her in the hospital while she has to have breathing treatments because she can't breathe stinks. Before I would watch in disbelief at how someone can have emphysema and still continue to smoke. She has quit since this past visit to the hospital. She says it's been the worst episode trying to gasp for air. Some people can stop cold turkey, others use patches or pills. Obviously there is something to that nicotine if people are still paying all those dollars a day to get a fix. I understand this and that was me several years ago. Now that it's gone I am sensitive to the smell. I can always tell when my daughter has been around a smoker it's in her hair and clothes. What bothers me the most is that with my bf's mom going through all of this she is still lighting up. It makes me crazy! I just want to slap her upside the head and say stop it! Throw them away can't you see your mother? I don't want that to be you or your husband! Stop it! Let it go! Let this be an example for both of you! You are killing yourselves. But I don't, and I'm thankful for that. Some things are better left unsaid. Why? What kind of friend am I? The kind that knows she already knows all of that and at a time like this that's not what she needs to hear. All she needs to hear right now is "How can I help?"

Labels: