This page has moved to a new address.

Sweet Potato and Bacon Salad #PaleoRecipe

7/23/11

Sweet Potato and Bacon Salad #PaleoRecipe

It's my first time to cook a paleo recipe! It's my first time to cook a sweet potato and use our steamer that we bought several years back and never used.

Ingredients
4 cups sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 onion, diced
4 rashes bacon, fat removed, diced
Sliced almonds
Oil

Instructions
Steam diced sweet potato for 5-6min, or until tender. Remove from heat and place into a
medium sized mixing bowl.
Meanwhile, place oil, onion and bacon in a frying pan on medium heat and cook until
bacon and onion have browned.
Add bacon and onion to sweet potato and combine well.
Top with sliced almonds to serve.

Tweaks -  I omitted the Almonds because my son is allergic. I wanted him to taste it. He did and spit it out so I think next time I can use the Almonds since he won't be eating it with us. For the oil I would have used Olive oil but apparently I didn't and that makes sense why my onions burned! Geez, I really just now at this very moment noticed that I was supposed to use oil. LOL!!! oh....
 I had no idea how much 4 cups would be and two of these sweet potatoes were plenty!
 I really need to work on my dicing skills but better knives would help me dice properly.
 The steamer hard at work.
 I tried the find a small onion but I couldn't so I opted for half an onion.
The bacon was a pain! How do you remove fat from bacon and then dice it? I had such a hard time getting the fat off. It was gooey. I would rather cook it first, get the fat off and then dice it and mix it with onions. Unless someone can tell me how to do that properly I'm at a loss. I'm glad I went with half of an onion because it would have been way too much. Four out of five of us approved of this tasty dish. I will make it again and tweak it some more but it was fun to venture out and try something new. Thanks Shaun for sharing the recipe.


Click on those "Like" and "Retweet" buttons to share with the online community. For current events see the side bars and click on the "Add Me" tab above to connect with me using other social media services.

Labels: ,