This page has moved to a new address.

Fallen Heroes on 9/11

9/11/10

Fallen Heroes on 9/11


Today 400+ folks got together at First Baptist Church to run/walk a 5K in honor of our fallen heroes. I bought nothing but Nike Dri-Fit gear for this race. I thought this was the answer to my sweat issue. It wasn't, I was soaked with sweat by the time we were done! My little guy likes to get in on the fun.

Here is our super cool t-shirt with the energy shot and Wheaties that came in our goody bags. I was too chicken to try the shot before the race. I've never taken this stuff and now didn't seem like the time.
I didn't wear my shirt for the race because, well it's black! It's boiling outside. We trained on the trail in running boot camp so I felt really good when we got to that part of the race. I was comfortable but I had to keep coaching my body along the way. I believe I had 1/4 of a mile to go before I started walking.  I even caught up to Keith, passed him, then he caught up to me and then I just lost it. I began to walk and the heat was awful. Then Keith's wife Liz passed me up as she was running while pushing their nearly 4 year old in a jogging stroller. She is amazing! I walked to the light and then I walked to the parking lot and then he saw me. This man named Jay asked me, "Do you have any more in you?" and he began to run with me. I'm not sure why he picked me out of the crowd but I'm glad he did. We ran together and I ran out of energy again and my leg was hurting and I stopped. Jay wasn't having any of it! He said, "take my arm I'm pulling you in! It's going to stop hurting when you cross the finish line." Surprisingly, he got me there and I crossed with a time of 37 minutes 40 seconds. Whoot! That's 11 seconds faster than my last 5K. We enjoyed some fruit, granola bars and lots of water afterward. I even tried to climb one of those walls but I couldn't get a grip on it. Keith did, he suggested it would be good Spartan Training. I think he is right but I couldn't get up that wall today. Now I have a new goal! Still I want to finish a 5K without walking. *sigh* I'll let you know when that happens. lol - 21 days left to train for the Spartan Race.

Until next time on...How to Train a Spartan


Before you go, don't forget to link up! I'm sure we are in some of the same circles. Have a look around the side bars and don't forget to check the "Add Me" tab.

Labels: , ,