This page has moved to a new address.

When Healthy Muffins Go Bad!

2/3/12

When Healthy Muffins Go Bad!

The Paleo challenge is over and I'm trying to introduce healthy foods back into my diet. For the most part I'm sticking to Paleo because I know that it works. For my little people, I want to have healthier options for them too. I got this really awesome recipe from one of my work out buddies Keith Schreiter.

Protein Muffins:
1 cup ground oatmeal (use blender etc)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp nutmeg (optional)
2 scoops whey chocolate protein
1/2 cup no sugar added applesauce
1/2 cup non-fat greek yogurt
cut up fruit (optional)

Mix with spatula

You could probably substitute the yogurt for something if you don't want to use it. Maybe double the applesauce instead? I add chocolate chips on top. For me I just add whatever fruit I have - strawberries and blueberries are in season.

For mini muffins 13 minutes, regular muffins 20-25 minutes. 350 degrees


I blended the heck out of that oatmeal!


Recipe calls for 2 scoops whey chocolate protein. Instead I split the recipe in half and used 1 scoop of Strawberry flavored whey protein with strawberries and 1 scoop of Vanilla flavored whey protein and blueberries! I also used Honey flavored Greek yogurt.
Don't they look yummy!
Kid Approved!


But WAIT!!!!!! These are not "Mom" approved. I tried the strawberry one and a bite of the blueberry just to have a taste. Around and hour later my stomach swelled up! I look like I'm about 4 or 5 months pregnant. I'm not joking. I would take a photo but really I can't go there, it's too embarrassing. My husband said, "WTH? are you allergic or something?" I have NO idea. There are two items that are not already on my Paleo list and that's oatmeal and the Greek yogurt. By all accounts this really is a healthy recipe. What's going on with my body? I took this situation to my Facebook Paleo group. The consensus is to find out which one is the culprit so I know to avoid it in the future. I don't feel good at all. I now literally have a "muffin top!" Ugh! But hey give them a shot and see if they work for you.




Click on those "Like" and "Retweet" buttons to share with the online community. For current events see the side bars and click on the "Add Me" tab above to connect with me using other social media services.

Labels: