This page has moved to a new address.

So You're 21 Today

7/13/10

So You're 21 Today

Oh my lovely! Today is such a milestone in a young adult's life. It really is the age where you are free to do anything you want. There is so much possibility in your future and you may not see it but any Mother or Father can. It's that wisdom that we gained by making our own mistakes as we have gotten older. It was hard having you at such a young age. At times it was just a matter of making sure you ate, were clothed and had a roof over your head. The times that I should have had time with you were spent finding someone to watch you so that I could go to work. I did my best with what I knew at the time but I always knew I could do better and I went back to school.
Surely if I went to school then I could become a better parent and honestly I did. It opened up a world of all new possibilities to both of us and so did he.
He supported my dreams for both of us. He loved you and I couldn't ask for a better man to be a role model for you. We did our best to be good role models. We did our best to guide you, to teach you, to provide you with a safe place to fall. Oh the things he endured!



But I was there too cheering you on as you were figuring out what to do with your future. You had so many questions about faith, boys, grades, colleges, what to pursue, where to live...the questions were endless. We helped you come up with a plan. I was prepared, at least I thought I was. After graduation you were going to be well on your way to conquering the world!
But then I learned the hard way, that in fact these were not your plans. It was time for you to go your own way and do your own thing. Everything I was trying to shield you from you ran to and breaking away from your family is at times, inevitable. Now we don't get any of your time. It's split between your job and the person you love.
So today you are 21 working at your job instead of already graduated as I had planned. Today you will be going back to your apartment after work with your love instead of hopping on a plane with us.
You see when I turned 21 my Mother did something for me that I will never forget, she took me to Las Vegas. The entire family ended up going and we had a great time. I always wanted to carry on that tradition with my own daughter. I've been telling her I would take her for years. We are suppose to be on a plane right now. We are suppose to have flight tickets to Las Vegas in our hands. She isn't suppose to be worrying about a job yet, or if she has vacation time! Today is suppose to be the day, my very last plan. But once again.....these were my plans, not hers. It's just one of those things that I have to respect. I have to say "oh well." I have to get over it because the clock is ticking and it waits for no one. So you're 21 today...you're so far away from your family, so enclosed in your own bubble, but I pray for you every day. I pray that you will be guided in the directions that your suppose to go. It's the best I can do because after all your 21, a full fledged adult. Happy Birthday - xxxooo


Before you go, don't forget to link up! I'm sure we are in some of the same circles. Have a look around the side bars and don't forget to check the "Add Me" tab.

Labels: